What is household hazardous waste? That’s a great question. Household Hazardous Waste is the used or discarded portion of products that contain toxic chemicals. Household hazardous waste is also called HHW. HHW products cannot be thrown in the garage with rest of your trash. Special care must be taken to dispose of them properly. Improper disposal of these items poses safety and environmental threats. Furthermore, improper disposal of these items is illegal. Keep reading to learn more about household hazardous waste products and what to do with them.
Examples of Household Hazardous Waste
First, it’s helpful to look at some HHW examples. You can probably find a lot of these products while cleaning out your garage or basement.
- Cleaning Products
- Pool Chemicals
- Brake Fluid
- Prescription Drugs
- Lighter Fluid
- Used motor oil
- Stains and Finishes
- Fire extinguishers
- Old propane tanks
- and more!
HHW chemicals should be safely stored and kept away from children. Please be sure to lock these chemicals away safely. Now, that we’ve talked a little bit about What is household hazardous waste, let’s talk about ways to safely get rid of them.
How to Get Rid Of Household Hazardous Waste
Household chemicals cannot be poured down the sink or toilet. Furthermore, HHWs should never be dumped into the grass, streams, or other water sources. Household hazardous waste also can’t be tossed in the trash. So, what do you do with household chemicals? Here are some ideas.
- Read the Label: First, read the label. The label of most chemicals and HHW products will have disposal instructions.
- Look Up Disposal Locations in Your Area: Some businesses take and dispose of HHW products. For example, some local pharmacies will dispose of unwanted prescription drugs. However, always check with the business before you drop off.
- Community Tox Away Days: We have events called Tox Away Days Here in Indianapolis. These events allow citizens to bring HHWs, chemicals, tires, electronics, and more for safe disposal. You can learn more about Tox Away Days here. Your community probably holds similar events even if you don’t live in Indianapolis.
More Helpful Information About Getting Rid of Household Hazardous Waste:
- Where to Recycle Batteries in Indianapolis
- How to Dispose of Paint
- Where To Recycle CFL Light Bulbs in Indianapolis
- How to Dispose of Electronic Waste
- Where to Dispose of Electronic Waste
- How to Recycle Printer Cartridges
- Items Junk Removal Companies Won’t Take
Is Fire Dawgs a Drop Off Location for Hazardous Waste or Other Items?
No. Fire Dawgs Junk Removal is not a drop off location for hazardous waste or any other used items at any of our locations. However, we do offer home services for your home or office. But what services does Fire Dawgs Offer?
What Services Does Fire Dawgs Junk Removal Help With?
Fire Dawgs Junk Removal is a local owned company on a mission to help you get your space back! We are firefighter founded and veteran owned! We can handle any job from demolition to entire cleanouts — and even simple curbside junk pick-up. Our crews take on the tough jobs that the other guys won’t and get “IT” done! But the best part about Fire Dawgs? We also reuse, recycle, or donate over 60% of the items we haul away! Helping you go green no matter your service!
So what services do we offer exactly? Here is list of our most popular services:
- Attic Cleanout
- Foreclosure Cleanout
- Labor Only Services
- Office Cleanout
- And much, much more!
For a full list of all the services we offer, click here. Want to learn more about our pricing? Click here. Want a firm estimate on your service prior? Give us a call for a free, in person estimate to get you the price on your service!
Call Now to Schedule Your Estimate!
Give our friendly customer service team a call and they’ll help you set up a free, in person estimate and answer any questions you may have! Call us at 317-291-3294! Unable to call? No problemeo! Contact us online here to find a time that works best for you and we’ll reach out to you at your convenience. Have pictures or videos that you want to send us beforehand? Text us at 317-597-4744 to receive a quick and easy electronic estimate.
Want to see how Fire Dawgs can transform your space? Follow Fire Dawgs Junk Removal on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok to see our Dawg Tough team in action. We hope to serve YOU soon!