Have you ever heard the expression “out with the old, in with the new?” While the phrase can apply to almost anything, it fits particularly well with updating your home. Today, we are going to look at the average lifespan of household items. These expiration dates may give you a better idea of whether it’s time to get rid of that old couch. Keep reading to find out more about the average lifespan of common household items!
Average Lifespan of Household Items
Average Lifespan of Living Room Furniture
Our daily lives tend to happen in the living room of our homes. Therefore, the furniture in this room tends to get a lot of wear and year. This is especially true if you have indoor pets or children.
- Sofas and Couches: The average lifespan of a sofa or couch is about 7-15 years. Your cushions may start sagging when it is about time to replace your sofa. Furthermore, you may hear creaking and start noticing the fabric is getting worn down.
- Recliners: Recliners usually last about 10 years. A recliner with definitely last longer with gentle use.
- Coffee Tables and Side Tables: These two items are more about style. You can find tables on yard sale sites or get them on sale relatively inexpensively. Now, if you are regularly having dance parties on your coffee table, you are going to have to swap it out more frequently.
- Area Rugs and Carpet: These household items usually last 5-15 years. A better quality carpet should last closer to the 15 year mark.
Average Lifespan of Bedroom Furniture and Items
- Mattresses: A good mattress should last you about 10 years. However, most people purchase a new mattress between 5-10 years.
- Bedroom Furniture: This is also more of a questions of style and decor. You want to change the look of your room? Change your furniture. Or, maybe try a new paint color first!
- Pillows: This one is really surprising. A good, quality pillow will only last you about 18-36 moths. You should replace inexpensive polyester pillows even sooner at 6 months.
- Sheets: Some sources claim that sheets should be thrown out after 2-3 years. But, we’re not buying it. Usually, sheets are good for about 5 years. However, high quality, luxury sheets can even last 10 years.
Average Lifespan of Appliances and Kitchen Items
- Refrigerators: A refrigerator should last about 10-20 years.
- Stoves: Stoves last about 13-15 years. Be sure to clean your stove regularly to make it last longer!
- Washers: The average lifespan of a washing machine is about 11 years.
- Dryers: Dryers should last about 8-12 years. Clean the dryer vent out regularly to increase the lifespan of your dryer!
- Dishwashers: Dishwashers last about 8-10 years. Make yours last longer by following these dishwashers maintenance tips.
- Coffee Pots: Most sources we’ve found 2-3 years. But, how long has yours been going?
- Cookware: Nonstick pots and pans last about 5 years. Cast iron cookware, of course, lasts much longer.
Average Lifespan Of Bathroom Items
- Bath Towels: A good quality bath towel should last you 5-10 years. However, they can be repurposed in so many ways after you are done using them. You can use them as cleaning rags or even donate them to your local humane shelter.
- Bath Rugs: If you think about it, bath mats get a lot of everyday use. So, it is best to replace bath rugs every 1-2 years or so to clean you bathroom looking so fresh and so clean.
- Shower Curtain Liner: Liners are exposed to lost of moisture. Lots of moisture means risk of mold or mildew. So, replace shower curtain liners at least once a year.
Other Important Household Items
- Air Filters: Change your home’s air filter every 30-90 days. Stay around the 30 days mark if anyone in your home has allergies of asthma.
- Smoke Detectors: Smoke detectors last about 10 years, but change the batteries in your smoke detector every year.
What Should You Do to Get Rid of Old Household Items?
Now that you know the average lifespan of your common household items, you’ve probably put together a short list of items it’s time to say sayonara to. But moving your items can be a pain and time consuming. What should you do when you want to get rid of your items, but don’t want to do it yourself? Give Fire Dawgs Junk Removal a call and we’ll help haul away your old household item! But why choose Fire Dawgs?
Why Choose Fire Dawgs to Haul Away Your Old Household Items?
Fire Dawgs Junk Removal can help with all your junk removal needs! We start every service by dispatching our two-person crew to your home. Our well-trained, screened, and certified crews are equipped with a 16 cubic yard mini dump truck, decked out with the necessary tools and equipment to handle any service you need done. Upon arrival, our crew chief will give you a final estimate before moving beginning your service so that you can be confident in your business decision!
Then our team will work quickly and efficiently to remove your items and load it onto our truck! But the best part about our service? We reuse, recycle, or donate over 60% of the items that we haul away! Meaning that if your items are still in usable condition, we’ll take it to a donation center for you! Making us the easiest and eco-friendliest way to get rid of your old items! Have we tempted you to hire our services? We hope so! But are you curious about the price? We can help get you the price for your service with our free, in person estimates!
How Do I Get a Free, in Person Estimate!
Give our friendly customer service team a call and they’ll help you set up a free, in person estimate and answer any questions you may have! Call us at 800-211-3294! Unable to pick up a phone? No problem! Contact us online here to find a time that works best for you and we’ll reach out to you at your convenience. Have pictures or videos that you want to send us before your service? Text us at 317-597-4744 to receive a fast and simple electronic estimate.
We love to show off the work we do for out customers! Follow Fire Dawgs Junk Removal on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok to see our Dawg Tough team in action. We hope we provided you with valuable information for the average lifespan of household items and we hope serve YOU soon!